For Instructors: Getting Started
Access Your UVACanvas Workspace
A UVACanvas workspace is a personal sandbox for instructors to:
- Test course site setup.
- Practice tool functionality.
- Create content that can be imported into their official SIS-rostered course sites.
- Play around with UVACanvas without affecting learners enrolled in your regular classes.
- 1. Log in to your UVACanvas account.
Visit UVACanvas -- you can also use the UVACanvas Login button at the top right of this page -- and log in through NetBadge.
- 2. Select “Workspace Course” under Unpublished Courses in your Dashboard.
- 3. Need help? Don't see a workspace?
- Not seeing a workspace in your dashboard? Instructors can request a workspace.
Need help? Click Help in the left-hand navigation. Search the Canvas Guides and Training Services Portal are great resources to help get you started.
Get the Canvas App
During set-up, search for “University of Virginia” or "UVA."
Please note: Canvas recommends students do not use the Canvas mobile app for taking exams and quizzes. Use the desktop app and ensure a secure internet connection for the best experience.
View Support & Resources
Workshops and Support Opportunities
The following events are led by UVA experts and offered in addition to the various workshops and support available locally in each of the schools:
- Open Office Hours
- Getting Started With UVACanvas: 90-Minute Introduction Sessions
- 1:1 UVA Support & Course Design Consultations
Available 24/7, the Canvas Guides and Training Portal offers how-to guides and live remote and on-demand training for all aspects of Canvas use.
- Canvas Online Training Paths for Instructors: Training Services Portal resources geared toward Instructors to learn how to best leverage Canvas’ features and functionality (you must be a current Canvas user logged in to Canvas to access this link).
- Instructor Community Resources: Access Canvas Instructor guides and videos in a searchable interface via the Canvas Community.
- LinkedIn Learning Canvas Course: Videos available on a variety of topics for Instructors getting started with Canvas.
- Growing with Canvas: Combination of videos and guides geared to help Instructors expand their use of Canvas.
How Do I...
Learn How to Get Help
These "how to" resources are always available 24/7:
For help designing your course or using integrated tools, additional resources are available: